Tailing and Ear Punching:
- At 3 weeks of age, mice will be ear punched and tailed by the
- The VGER staff will e-mail the contact person for the project
and the investigator to let them know when the tail samples are
ready for pick-up.
- Within the following 3 weeks, the investigator must let the
VGER staff know which animals are positive for the gene of
- The VGER will submit a transfer request to move the transgenic
animals to the investigator's room for housing.
- Pending approval of the serology results by the DAC staff, the
transgenic founders will be moved to the investigator's room for
housing and mating.
If for whatever reason there is a failure to correctly genotype
some or all of the pups after the VGER provides tail samples to the
investigator, the following applies:
- The investigator should contact the VGER to confirm which
animals need to be retailed and should list a reason as to why
there was a failure to genotype.
- The VGER staff will contact the DAC to get approval for the
retailing procedure and complete a plan for which mice need to be
- Once approved, the VGER staff will retail the appropriate
animals and the investigator will be notified when the samples are
ready to be picked up.
- The investigator is responsible for an hourly service fee
- If the investigator cannot confirm which animals are correctly
genotyped within three weeks of the animals being retailed, the
animals will be sacrificed.
- If the investigator can correctly identify transgenic animals
after retailing, a transfer request will be submitted by the VGER
to release the positive animals to the investigator's room for