Lithium-ion batteries have been used for more than 20 years, most recently to power handheld devices including cellphones and electronic nicotine-delivery systems. They have garnered significant media attention due to thermal-related injuries occurring after spontaneous combustion. Spontaneous combustion of a lithium-ion battery occurs due to a process that is referred to as the thermal runaway effect. Here, we review the case of a 25-year-old female with severe oropharyngeal and upper aerodigestive thermal injuries after spontaneous combustion of a lithium-ion battery in a flashlight. We discuss the associated management and provide a review of the literature detailing similar injuries. Laryngoscope, 129:45-48, 2019.
© 2018 The American Laryngological, Rhinological and Otological Society, Inc.